Saturday, April 6, 2013

Vol. 38: Popeye's Strawberry & Cream Cheese Pie


Those of you who follow me on Facebook may have seen recently (okay, okay, around flippin’ Valentine’s Day, ugh) that I had posted I was going to try this deliciously-insane concoction from Popeye’s, that looks like something that Paula Deen would concoct in her wet dreams. 

Well, bottom line was, I did.  I suppose you could say the delay in my posting this review is enough to express the soul-crushing let-down indifference with which I have to type this.  Let’s start with the photographic crap:


The official shot

 My shots

Notice I had to take two (2) shots to fully illustrate the utter absence of filling.  Sure, I told myself, it’s okay, you just got a bad one and all the filling leaked out.  Well, I might be persuaded to believe that if the seams weren’t intact, so there wasn’t anyplace for the filling to leak from.

It was truly a depressing moment.  What I did taste of the filling, a gooey and not-too-sweet mix of delicious, creamy strawberries and satiny cream cheese – imagine, if you would, a slice of strawberry cheesecake wrapped in a condom of dough and dropped gently into a loving vat of oil until it’s all warm and ooey and try not to get hard at the thought – was absolutely amazing.  The problem was, as you can see from the photographs.. there wasn’t hardly any of it present.

Yes, I even took a second shot in the same pose with the flash on so you can see allll the way back into the end of that cave of would-be heaven, only to find that it’s not hiding in the back like filling is so wont to do in Lukewarm Pockets. 

All in all, it’s a great theory.  I’m not sure if they’re trying to keep the filling to a minimum to minimize the caloric damage eating one would do – although, let’s be honest, if you’re eating a deep fried strawberry cheesecake you’re probably not worried about calories.  So, to Popeye’s, I declare:  More filling = more delicious!


The Verdict
2/5.  It’s a good start, but needs refinement.  I’ll eat another one if I have a coupon or get one free, but I can’t see myself paying for it again.

2 comments: