Friday, October 19, 2012

Vol. 33: 7-Eleven's Smoked Turkey & Jack Cheese Sandwich


Let’s be honest.  At some point, we’re all wishing we had a quick bite to eat while we’re dashing back and forth between the various places, appointments, tricks, work, home, whatever in our daily lives where we wish we could snag a bite to eat.  And not always is there a restaurant or fast food joint open.  Thus, we’re stuck with either a.) driving all the way home and fixing something, or b.) all-night convenience store food.

The former isn’t always feasible.  The latter isn’t always edible.

A while back, I’ll freely admit, 7-Eleven’s sandwiches sucked like Lisa Lampanelli in an NBA locker room were terrifyingly awful.  Dry, flavorless, and depending on the situation, you may or may not get to put condiments on them.  Choking one down without a flavored beverage of some kind was an ordeal you’d soon rather forget. 

Then they finally realized, “ohai, R sandwichz blow.”  Which is a good thing.  That they realized it.  Not that... oh, sod it, you get the idea.

Observe this, the flagship of their lineup:


Smoked Turkey & Jack Cheese on Wheat

First and foremost, I’d like to point out the last two words in that caption.  “On Wheat.”  Yes, I said wheat.  Not white, French, Italian, four-cheese, ciabatta, focaccia, none of that delicious stuff.  WHEAT.  Yes, I’m voluntarily purchasing (and consuming, no less) a sandwich served on wheat bread.  And no, I’m not complaining about it, either.

Why?  Because this thing is frickin’ amazing.  Here, they’re $3.99 a pop, and worth the whole lot.  If it jumped to $4.99, possibly even $5.99, I’d still get it.  Yeah, I said it.  The wheat bread is soft without disintegrating or being soggy, the turkey is juicy and tender and flavorful, the Jack cheese – get this! – actually tastes like Monterey Jack, and it’s crowned off with a zippy Southwestern Mayo which adds just a hint of spice.  On the Taco Bell scale, it ranks somewhere in the vicinity of “just below Mild” on the heat index, so those who don’t want a volcano in between their buns (that’s what she said) can rest easy.  The lettuce adds just the right amount of crunch and textural difference to make the sandwich fly as a whole. 

Oh, by the by, each half has more meat on it than a whole $5 footlong at Subway.  I checked. 

And they’re delivered fresh every single day, as far as I can tell.  I’ve never seen a sandwich older than “delivered this morning” on the shelves.  And I spend far, far too much time in 7-Eleven to be healthy.  Let’s just say the employees at the one by my house know me on a first-name basis.  And my daughter.  And that my daughter likes Wild Cherry Slurpees.  And my cigarette brand, flavor, and pack preferences.  I could go on, but I think you get the picture. 

In short, unless you’re vegetarian or vegan (and if you are, why are you reading this blog?  No, seriously.  I’m curious.  Please leave it in the comments below), you need to get your hands on one of these ‘wiches next time you’re at Sleven.  Seriously.  Your colon will thank you.


The Verdict
5/5.  I’d still buy these if the price went up.  However, that’s not a suggestion, if you’re reading this, Sleven Corporate Drones. 


1 comment:

  1. I gotta agree with you man. These sandwiches in particular are ALWAYS the first to go at my local 7Elevens. As soon as 11am hits, those shelves are cleaned leaving nothing but tuna salad and plain turkey (nothing added) subs. The monterey jack turkey sandwiches are definetly worth heading to 7Eleven and picking one up early.

    ReplyDelete