Monday, November 26, 2012

Vol. 37: Taco Bell's XXL Nachos


According to the file date on this picture I took, I ate these, like, almost two weeks ago.  And haven’t written about them yet.  Yeah, I’m slacking, especially since I’ve made another two posts since then.  Life happens and/or I’m a slacker.

So I’ve seen them several times on the windows of Taco Bell as I drove by, and told myself, “Self!  That’s creative photography.  The XXL Nachos aren’t going to be that big.  Just a fancy version of a Nachos BellGrande.”  That’s what I said, at least, until I got the order and they had to bust out a special bag and hold it sideways to get it through the tiny drive through window.  Observe:

 XXL Nacho Glory

There’s no camera tricks in that shot.  My pinky is actually touching the plastic base.  These things are friggin’ huge quite large by fast food portion standards.   I’d bet two “normal people” could share an order and be quite happy with the results, and there’s no shortage of cheese, both nacho and shredded. 

Just make sure you wash your hands, first.  Or be a preppy wuss and use a fork. 

I know you’re probably expecting some enlightening and witty commentary on how good they are.  Well, for Taco Bell, they’re pretty danged good.  The fact that there’s over a pound on that tray lends itself absolutely no bias to my gluttonous opinion.  The truth of the matter is, it’s standard chips, TB guac, sour cream, TB “beef” (or steak or chicken, depending on which one you order), sour cream, refried beans, nacho cheese sauce, the cheddar/jack shredded blend, and some fancy-lookin’ pico de gallo. 

If you didn’t like Taco Bell beforehand, this isn’t going to be some manna-from-heaven specially blended mixture that’ll convert you into a tacobellian.  (For that, go to Salsarita’s.)  On the other hand, if you are already a semi-regular partaker of the Fourthmeal, and like nachos, then this needs to be on your to-try list.  Eat all the goodies.  All of them.  THINK OUTSIDE THE BUN.  And all that noise.

Key differences between the XXL Nachos and the BellGrande:

1.)  Guac and pico come STANDAD on the XXL.  (Shout-out to CrandyBole for pointing out the typo.  -Ed.)
2.)  There’s like, a pantload more in the XXL.
3.)  They’re called “XXL Nachos” in an attempt to make you feel fatter than saying BellGrande.*  Cuz, that’s like, two more extras than the Spanish word for “big” alone.  (Pfft.  Silly mortals, thinking that would dissuade me.)
4.)  The tomatoes aren’t spread around on the XXL, but rather clustered into a scoop of pico.  That doesn’t bother me, as it allows for more controlled mater distribution on a per-chip basis. 
5.)  NEITHER OF THEM HAVE GREEN ONIONS.  (wtf, TB?  Get with the game.  Bring them back!)

*this statement is not approved or endorsed by whatever Buttweasel Legalhonker at Taco Bell wants to sue me for making false claims.  Get a sense of humor.

And, for you skinny-no-appetite-having types out there, the XXL’s are $4.99 for an order.  Split it with a friend and it’s two fifty apiece.  Can’t beat that.  Those of you that can actually finish a Triple Baconator (fancy link) might want to get a MexiMelt to go with it.


The Verdict
4/5.  Pretty big and pretty good value for the money, considering the hefty amount of toppings piled on.  If they jack it up too much higher, though, it’ll fall to a 3.  Because, when all is said and done, it is still Taco Bell.  This does not mean that I have not eaten them several times already.


No comments:

Post a Comment