Saturday, June 9, 2012

Vol. 10: Burger King's Steakhouse XT Burger


I remember trying the original BK Steakhouse Angus burgers when they first came out, several years ago.  My opinion then was that they sucked @ss reminded me more of a frozen Banquet almost-meat-by-product patty than anything remotely considered delicious.  So when Burger King came out and launched this new line of "Extra Thick" (or XT) Steakhouse burgers, I couldn't give a $hit politely declined trying them on account of prior product experience. 

My sample was the “normal” burger, on the far right.

On the recommendation of a co-worker whose name is alarmingly similar to a famous - if arguably mental - movie star, I decided it had been a reasonable amount of time to give the product line another shot.  (See, that's called giving someone credit without calling them out.  Try it sometime, Mr. Limbaugh.)  So as I unwrap my burger, which is somewhat more smooshed than in the 'official' picture above (sorry, it was dark and I was hungry and driving, journalistic integrity was not on my mind).  Which isn't unusual, when does fast food EVER look like the picture?  Anyway, the smell was already a marked improvement - for a place advertising flame-broiled burgers, this was the first time I had ever gotten a burger which smelled like it.  The patty was thick and had 'barbecue crispies' on it, which just added to the flavor. 

The bun and rabbit food were typical Burger King quality, which is passable.  I got the regular burger, which was basically a Whopper with a patty that actually tasted good.  I'll certainly try the other varieties they have.  This burger could easily replace the Whopper as the chain's flagship burger, but that would cost money and make sense isn't in their prime product price point range. 

So if you happen to be at a BK and are unsure about which steam-tray-warmed burger to get, put this product line at the top of your list.  But better yet, go to Hardee's, because let's be honest:  you go to BK because it's conveniently located, cheap, or both, and not because you like meat steamed for so long after it was grilled that it has lost all flavor.  If you do, stop reading my column, you crazy bast@ard!

The Verdict
3/5.  Easily the best burger on the BK menu, but not quite good enough to make me want to go to BK.

No comments:

Post a Comment