Saturday, June 9, 2012

Vol. 11: KFC's Double Down "Sandwich"


Being a part of numerous market research panels often yields surprising benefits, such as learning about new products well before they actually come out.  Sadly, sometimes they never do.  So when I was part of a panel with KFC doing research on whether or not a chicken "sandwich" where two fried chicken breasts serve as the bun, stuffed with two slices of bacon and two slices of cheese and a chipotle Ranch sauce, I responded with a resounding holy hell give me one now 'this is an awesome idea.'

Observe!  (Mine is on the left, the official shot is on the right.)


When KFC launched their new boneless breast fillet, which was a grand step up from their chicken strips, the thought crossed my mind that these might become the "buns" for their new "chicken sandwich."  And I began drooling in anticipation even further.

And then, it launches, under the moniker "Double Down."  It should, in all honesty, be called "double up your cholesterol."  As if that would deter me (can we say Triple Baconator, anyone?) in any way, shape, or form.  Quite the contrary, any sandwich that screams MASSIVE INCOMING CORONARY practically rolls out a welcoming mat for me.

In short, this sandwich is messy as hell.  Again, not a deterrent, unless I'm trying to drive (I do NOT recommend consuming this while driving!), but one cannot perform cannibalistic molestations properly give this sandwich the respect it deserves unless seated, anyway.  I opened the box and lifted this monstrosity out, trying desperately not to slobber on it (successfully) and dived face-first into it. 

Juicy, chickeny, spicy, melty, cheesy, and then crispy BACON!!  (At this point I started sounding like the Beggin' Strips dog for about 9.3 minutes. -Ed.)  Considering that bacon was not one of the primary ingredients at KFC, I was rather nervous at first, but it was thick-cut and crispy, without cause for a hint of worry.  Then, of course, because I'm a greedy junk food bastard I had to be thorough in the name of science, I had to take a bite of the grilled version, as well.  Don't get me wrong - one bite, these protein monsters are quite filling - but the grilled proved to be equally delicious.  The flavor profiles were different, of course;  I wouldn't call it less greasy, but with much more of a "backyard barbecue" feel to it than the Southern-fried decadence of the crispy one. 

As far as which is better?  That's going to be largely personal preference.  I was on the fence, they were both unhealthy and frakkin' droolworthy excellent in their own styles, and which I would pick in the future just depends on what mood I was in that day. 

In short:  seven trillion calories, a million grams of protein, 4,000g of saturated fat, and 0 carbs?  Atkin's would be proud.

The Verdict
4/5.  Ridiculously delicious, and expectably pricey considering the contents at $4.99 each, but worth it.  Getcha some!

No comments:

Post a Comment