Saturday, June 9, 2012

Vol. 8.5: Chipotle Mexican Grill Chicken Soft Tacos


During my first review of the recently-opened Chipotle Mexican Grill restaurant, I acknowledged that some of the problems encountered were due to the early rocks of opening day.  I also admitted that while each individual ingredient was good, as a whole, the burrito fell short of my expectations.


There were three of them at first, but I ate two before I remembered to snap a pic.

That was several weeks ago, and I'd since grown curious to know if dialing back the number of ingredients might make a dish work together better.  Most places who put together mega-uber-burritos successfully (Moe's, Salsaritas, etc.) put their primary seasoning on the protein of choice, and let the other prepared ingredients sing for themselves, to avoid become the colossal train wreck that was Chipotle's burrito.  Under that line of thinking, I tried their grilled chicken tacos, very simply:  chicken, pico de gallo, queso quesadilla, sour cream, and shredded Romaine.  Classic, fresh combo, and with the individual flavors fewer in number, much more in harmony.  This was a good meal, brightly flavored with just the right amount of heat, and certainly a needed star on Chipotle's hat. 

Just don't try to create a 'kitchen sink' burrito there.

The Revisit Verdict
4/5.  Good, simple, fresh-tasting tacos which helped redeem the cilantro-mosh-pit which was the burrito, earning Chipotle a tentative spot on the lunch roster.

No comments:

Post a Comment