Saturday, June 9, 2012

Vol. 19: Taco Bell's Cantina Tacos


As all you adoring and wonderful readers know, I love my Mexican food.  I also love Taco Bell.  I also have no illusions about the fact that Taco Bell is, by no sane comparison, anything even remotely close to Mexican food.  So, when Taco Bell launched their new line of 'Cantina Tacos,' I was understandably leery. 

They're an attempt to emulate 'Mexican street food,' as the corporate website claims, coming wrapped in aluminum foil with a lime wedge tucked inside.  There are three varieties: chicken, steak, and carnitas.  The chicken and steak (an attempt to replicate carne asada?) are the same stuff of regular Taco Bell fare.  The carnitas are what had me the most worried, in truth;  properly prepared carnitas take far longer to cook than I knew Taco Bell was willing to invest time in.  That having been said, I was still quite nervous when I finally got my order. 

Taco-ey Goodness

First off, don't be fooled by the "double tortilla" they come wrapped in.  They're very thin corn tortillas (the way they should be) and the second is only there because the first tortilla becomes hopelessly soggy and has next-to-no structural integrity.  Solution?  Wrap a second around it.

Back to the flavor:  In a rare instance of surprise, the carnitas (slow-roasted seasoned pulled pork, for those who are thinking "what the f*ck is that") is actually the winner amongst the three.  The chicken's seasoning doesn't blend well with the cilantro and onions on the taco, and ends up somewhat dry; but the juicy shredded pig has no such problem.  I was worried that Taco Bell was making a mistake trying something so ballsy time-consuming, but whatever nauseating trick shortcut they used was worth it.

As far as pricing goes, they're on the higher end of the taco pricing (for Taco Bell), but quite tasty.  They're less potent than the regular crunchy tacos in the "filling" department;  I had three and felt like I could down another two and still not feel like a bloated glutton be comfortable.  

All in all, I would definitely get them again.  Just with a side of nachos.  But definitely on the "must try" list.

The Verdict
4/5.  Surprisingly tasty, but needs a side to go with it.  Reasonably priced.

No comments:

Post a Comment