Saturday, June 9, 2012

Vol. 21: Taco Bell's Pacific Shrimp Taco and/or Burrito


These came out once before, a few years back, as a "limited time" promotion.  I didn't try them then.  But, bolstered by Taco Bell's rather impressive performance (for Taco Bell) with their Cantina tacos in the not-too-distant past, I decided to try the Shrimp Taco.

  
As you can see, the official picture looks nothing like the final product.  Containing six "seasoned, marinated shrimp," - which are apparently all on one side of the taco in the official picture - the thing is barely filled.  As you can see, the shrimp are laughably small.  In addition to the shrimp, on the taco you have lettuce, pico de gallo, and a "creamy avocado Ranch sauce."  Quite frankly, all I tasted was lettuce and pico de gallo.  It took about three bites in before I thought to myself, "Oh, look, Self!  There's a hint of what might actually be shrimp here!"  As to what seasonings they were, who knows?  Plus, they were overcooked to death.  I think canned baby shrimp have a better tooth feel, and they feel something akin to wet maggots soggy cereal.

Then they have the nerve to be "diverse" by offering it in a burrito.  Which contains - guess what?  Six shrimp, lettuce, avocado ranch sauce, pico de gallo, and is wrapped in a - watch yourself, now - TORTILLA!  Gasp, I say!  So the only difference is the sodding price and that it's wrapped differently?  How is that clever marketing?  Is nobody else noticing this?  I would like at this point for you, the reader, to do a collective eye roll with me.  Ready?  3, 2, 1...

...

...Thank you for your participation.

When all is said and done, Taco Bell should stay away from seafood.  There's just something creepy about the entire concept.  They need to stick with what they do best, which is come up with creative new ways to mix together cheese, fake cheese sauce, something crunchy, and questionable (albeit mysteriously tasty) beef filling.

The Verdict
2/5.  I suppose I'd eat it if someone else paid for it.  And I was hungry.  But that's it.

No comments:

Post a Comment