Saturday, June 9, 2012

Vol. 8: Chipotle Mexican Grill Grilled Chicken Burrito


Growing up in Southern California, I developed a love affair with really good, authentic Mexican food.  When I moved to Virginia Beach, it was pointedly brought to my attention that such food simply does not exist here.  Of course, I bitched complained about that in my last installment, so I'll keep that to a minimum. 

Chipotle Mexican Grill just opened near my place of work.  So, naturally, I tried it.  The burrito was nicely sized for the price - I'd guesstimate around a pound and a half - and comes with a bag of chips and salsa.  In a surprising twist, the chips really stole the show for me.  Perfectly crisp, dusted with Kosher salt and a hint of lime, they complemented the salsa beautifully and were awesome on their own.


The burrito, on the other hand, was somewhat dissapointing.  Nothing in it was bad, but nothing was stand-out awesome, either.  There was heavy use of cilantro in the salsa and rice, which by the end was the only thing I could taste.  In addition, the tortilla was a little gummy.  The end result of utter mediocrity is kind of surprising considering the restaurant's emphasis on fresh, organic ingredients.  Normally, I would chalk my dissapointment up to being inundated with Taco Bell grade-d crap food, but I've known this type of food for a long time, and enjoyed the same burrito at their competitors for a while, as well. 

When all is said and done, I'm going to have to give this separate verdicts.  Of course, the place just opened today, so I'll try them again in a month or so, but in the meantime I'll stick with Moe's or Salsarita's.

The Verdict
Chips & Salsa:  5/5.  These were slam-bangin' wickedness.
The Burrito:  2/5.  I'd eat it again, as long as someone else is paying.  For my dime, I'll go elsewhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment